What is a ‘Hedge Fund Manager’
A hedge fund manager is the individual who oversees and makes decisions about the investments in a hedge fund. Managing a hedge fund can be an attractive career option because of its potential to be extremely lucrative. To be successful, a hedge fund manager must consider how to have a competitive advantage, a clearly defined investment strategy, adequate capitalization, a marketing and sales plan, and a risk management strategy.
Explaining ‘Hedge Fund Manager’
Head fund management firms are often owned by the managers in charge of the portfolio, meaning that they are entitled to a large amount of the profits that the hedge fund makes. When entering into a hedge fund, investors fund the management fees that cover the operating expenses, as well as performance fees that are usually distributed to the owners as profit. What sets hedge fund managers apart from other types of fund management is the fact that the personal worth and funds of hedge fund managers are usually tied directly to the fund itself.
Hedge fund managers can take multiple strategies to maximize returns for their firms and clients. One popular strategy is using something called global macro investing. The idea is to invest in tandem with a large share or sizable position in markets that are dealing with predicting global macroeconomic trends. This type of strategy used by hedge fund managers gives them the necessary flexibility they need, but the strategy is heavily dependent on excellent timing.
- Assembling an Economic Actor: The – journals.sagepub.com [PDF]
- Predictability in hedge fund returns (corrected) – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- Performance persistence and the source of returns for hedge funds – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- The 'old'and 'new'political economy of hedge fund regulation in the European Union – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- Risk management for hedge funds: Introduction and overview – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- Hedge fund performance and manager skill – onlinelibrary.wiley.com [PDF]
- Hedge fund benchmarks: A risk-based approach – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- The law and economics of hedge funds: Financial innovation and investor protection – heinonline.org [PDF]
- Seeking alpha or creating beta? Charting the rise of hedge fund-based financial ecosystems – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- Macroeconomic risk and hedge fund returns – www.sciencedirect.com [PDF]