What is a ‘Knock-Out Option’
A knock-out option is an option with a built-in mechanism to expire worthless if a specified price level is exceeded. A knock-out option sets a cap to the level an option can reach in the holder’s favor. As knock-out options limit the profit potential for the option buyer, they can be purchased for a smaller premium than an equivalent option without a knock-out stipulation.
Explaining ‘Knock-Out Option’
A knock-out option is a type of barrier option and may be traded on the over-the-counter market. Barrier options are typically classified as either knock-out or knock-in. A knock-out option ceases to exist if the underlying asset reaches a certain predetermined barrier during its life. Contrary to a knock-out option, a knock-in option only comes into existence if the underlying asset reaches a predetermined barrier price.
Types of Knock-Out Options
A down-and-out option is a type of knock-out option. A down-and-out barrier option gives the holder the right, but not the obligation, to purchase or sell an underlying asset at a predetermined strike price if the underlying asset’s price did not go below a specified barrier during the option’s life. If the underlying asset’s price falls below the barrier at any point in the option’s life, the option ceases to exist and is worthless. For example, assume an investor purchases a down-and-out call option on a stock that is trading at $60 with a strike price of $55 and a barrier of $50. Assume the stock trades below $50 before the call option expires. Therefore, the down-and-out call option ceases to exist.
- Pricing Lookback Options with Knock‐out Boundaries – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- One-touch double barrier binary option values – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- DOUBLE KNOCK-OUT CALL OPTION PRICING MODEL [J] – en.cnki.com.cn [PDF]
- Risk Management Lessons from 'Knock‐in Knock‐out'Option Disaster – onlinelibrary.wiley.com [PDF]
- A new approach to pricing double-barrier options with arbitrary payoffs and exponential boundaries – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- THE MARTINGLE PRICING METHOD ABOUT A EUROPEAN UP & OUT CALL ON CALL OPTION [J] – en.cnki.com.cn [PDF]
- Proposal of a new guaranteed certificate using exotic options – www.ceeol.com [PDF]
- Early exercise boundaries for American-style knock-out options – www.sciencedirect.com [PDF]
- Pricing double barrier options using Laplace transforms – link.springer.com [PDF]