What is ‘Backing Away’
Failure by a market maker in a security to honor the quoted bid and ask prices for a minimum quantity. Backing away constitutes a serious violation of industry regulations. NASD Regulation Inc uses an automated market surveillance system to enable the resolution of backing-away complaints in real time.
Explaining ‘Backing Away’
Backing away constitutes a breach of SEC Rule 11Ac1-1 or the firm quote rule, which requires a market maker to execute an order presented to it at a price at least as favorable as its published quotation, up to its published quotation size. A potential backing-away complaint has to be brought to the attention of the Market Regulation Department within five minutes of the alleged offense. Otherwise, it may be difficult for department staff to obtain a contemporaneous trade execution from the market maker.
Backing Away FAQ
What’s the definition of backing away?
Who are you backing meaning?
What does painting the tape mean?
What is considered market manipulation?
Is churning market manipulated?
- Brazil Rolls Back Regional Integration: Under President Michel Temer, Brazil takes a decisive turn away from regional integration, towards courting the United States … – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- Inter-firm linkages and the wealth effects of financial distress along the supply chain – www.sciencedirect.com [PDF]
- Participation and equity in higher education: Are we going back to the future? – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- … : the good intentions of governments and donors to ensure long-term food security for all may be melting away in the face of the current global financial and economic … – go.gale.com [PDF]
- Kicking Away the Ladder, Too: Inside Central Banks – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- Looking back in order to move forward: The politics of evolving sub-national economic policy architecture – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- The economic policies of Turkey's AKP government: Rabbits from a hat? – www.ingentaconnect.com [PDF]
- Aid effectiveness: bringing country ownership (and politics) back in – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- Debt problems, home‐leaving, and boomeranging: A register‐based perspective on economic consequences of moving away from parental home – onlinelibrary.wiley.com [PDF]