What is ‘Vacation Home’
A dwelling other than the owner’s primary residence that is used for recreational purposes, like vacations (hence the name). Because vacation homes are only used at certain times, many owners will rent out their vacation homes when they are not using them. For example, a couple living in Maine might occupy a vacation home in Florida during Maine’s coldest months and rent it out to other people for the rest of the year.
Explaining ‘Vacation Home’
Mortgages on vacation homes typically have higher interest rates than mortgages on one’s primary residence, because they have a higher risk of default (in the event of a reversal of fortunes, individuals are more apt to save their primary residence than a temporary one). Nevertheless, most of the other perks of home ownership still apply, athough the restrictions are a bit tighter. If one does rent out the vacation home, then there are limitations as to how long the owner can reside there and still deduct rental expenses. The sale of a vacation home does not allow for the same income tax deductions as the sale of a primary residence does.
- Tourism, Vacation Home Development and Residential Tax Burden: – onlinelibrary.wiley.com [PDF]
- … of Normative Decision-Making: The Limitations of Legal Economics as a Basis for a Liberal Jurisprudence-As Illustrated by the Regulation of Vacation Home … – heinonline.org [PDF]
- The effect of property taxes on vacation home growth rates: Evidence from Michigan – www.sciencedirect.com [PDF]
- Tailspotting: Identifying and profiting from CEO vacation trips – www.sciencedirect.com [PDF]
- The value of proximity to a vacation home rental in a resort community – journals.sagepub.com [PDF]
- Effects of vacation properties on local education budgets – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- “As Members of the Social Whole”: A History of Social Reform as a Focus of Home Economics, 1895–1940 – onlinelibrary.wiley.com [PDF]
- Vacation homes and regional economic development – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- Beggar thy neighbor? Property taxation of vacation homes – www.jstor.org [PDF]