What is ‘Taft-Hartley Act’
The Taft-Hartley Act is a federal law that was enacted in 1947 that prohibited certain union practices and required improvement in union disclosure of financial and political dealings.
Explaining ‘Taft-Hartley Act’
The Taft-Hartley Act revised provisions of the Wagner Act, which was a law passed by Congress and signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on July 5, 1935. The Taft-Hartley Act gave employees the right to avoid taking part in union activities, but it also stipulated that an employer can require an employee join a union.
Six Key Amendments
Taft-Hartley outlined six unfair practices by labor unions and provided remedies, in the form of amendments, for protecting employees from harm resulting from these practices:
Changes to Elections
The Taft-Hartley Act made changes to union election rules. These changes excluded supervisors from bargaining groups and gave special treatment to certain professional employees.
Taft Hartley Act FAQ
What was the purpose of the Taft Hartley Act?
What effect did the Taft Hartley Act of 1947 have on unions?
Why was Truman against the Taft Hartley Act?
Was the Taft Hartley Act successful?
What did the Taft Hartley Act make illegal?
Is the Taft Hartley Act still in effect?
When was the Taft Hartley Act repealed?
- Constitutional Values and the Adjudication of Taft-Hartley Act Dues Objector Cases – heinonline.org [PDF]
- Organized labor, the environment, and the Taft-Hartley Act – www.jstor.org [PDF]
- Labor Political Action and the Taft-Hartley Act – heinonline.org [PDF]
- Internal affairs of unions and the Taft-Hartley Act – journals.sagepub.com [PDF]
- Turning labor into capital: Pension funds and the corporate control of finance – journals.sagepub.com [PDF]
- Financial reporting to employees: the pattern of development 1919 to 1979 – www.sciencedirect.com [PDF]
- Public Interest Labor Disputes: An Economic and Legal Analysis Beyond the Pale of Title II of the Taft-Hartley Act – heinonline.org [PDF]
- An Appraisal of the Taft-Hartley Act – www.jstor.org [PDF]