What is ‘Ma And Pa Shop’
A colloquial term for a small, independent, family-owned business. Unlike franchises and large corporations, which have multiple operations in various locations, ma and pa shops usually have a single location that often occupies a physically small space. The “shop” could be any type of business, from an auto repair shop to a bookstore to a restaurant.
Explaining ‘Ma And Pa Shop’
Ma and pa shops may have difficulty competing with larger businesses. Because they cannot take advantage of the same economies of scale, their prices are often higher. Ma and pa shops are able to stay competitive when they differentiate themselves from their large-scale competitors by offering a unique product, exceptional service or a more personalized feel.
- The influence of perceived risk on Internet shopping behavior: a multidimensional perspective – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- The evolution of shopping center research: a review and analysis – www.aresjournals.org [PDF]
- On-line shopping behavior: Cross-country empirical research – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- Financial liberalisation, stockmarkets and economic development – academic.oup.com [PDF]
- China's internet finance: A critical review – onlinelibrary.wiley.com [PDF]
- Losing interest: How much can consumers save by shopping around for financial products? – papers.ssrn.com [PDF]
- Configuring value for competitive advantage: on chains, shops, and networks – onlinelibrary.wiley.com [PDF]
- The economics of mobile payments: Understanding stakeholder issues for an emerging financial technology application – www.sciencedirect.com [PDF]
- Human behavior and the efficiency of the financial system – www.sciencedirect.com [PDF]