Gemology or gemmology is the science dealing with natural and artificial gemstone materials. It is considered a geoscience and a branch of mineralogy. Some jewelers are academically trained gemologists and are qualified to identify and evaluate gems.
What is ‘Gemology’
The combined art and science of studying, cutting, valuing, buying and selling precious stones. Some of the most precious stones that gemologists deal in include diamonds, rubies, sapphires and emeralds.
Gemology is spelled gemmology outside of North America.
With advances in gemstone synthesis, gemology has become a much more important field of study. Gemologists value stones based on a number of factors, including cut, color, quality and clarity. When returns in the stock market decline, aggressive investors often seek out alternative investments that hold more promise of increasing returns on invested capital. Gemstone investing can appeal to people who want to make quick returns, but it is highly speculative and should be left to experienced professionals.
- Construction and Thinking of Courses System of Gemology and Material Technique [J] – en.cnki.com.cn [PDF]
- Shine bright like a diamond: a hedonic model of grading and pricing an experience good – www.tandfonline.com [PDF]
- On features of Gemology experimental courses in German universities – en.cnki.com.cn [PDF]
- The" going out" strategy on Gemology professional of Kunming University of Science and Technology – en.cnki.com.cn [PDF]
- On the Pawnbrokins in China [J] – en.cnki.com.cn [PDF]
- Target and Mode of China's Legislation of Financial Transfer Payment [J] – en.cnki.com.cn [PDF]
- Financial evaluations of best 50 traditional Chinese medicine companies in China best listed companies – en.cnki.com.cn [PDF]